Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Fuji X Pro 1 is here!! - First Impressions

So the camera still hasn't arrived in US stores. However, last Friday it got to Canada. On Monday I ordered mine, and today (Thursday) it arrived, much to my pleasant surprise!

Although my wife has a D-lux 4 (fancy point and shoot), this is my first real digital camera. (Real = better than a camera phone quality)

I think I'm hooked, but I must say, I'm glad I waited for this camera. I'm not sure if I would have been happy with other earlier digital releases. I haven't done a side-by-side, but I bet this camera's quality at least beats the $8,000 cameras of a few years ago (Nikon D3).

First impression after a night of shooting? This camera rocks!

Performance: The photo quality at high ISOs is amazing. At screen resolution, I can't see noise at ISO 6400.

Jpegs: Look fantastic. Can't see how I could improve with shooting Raw.

Autofocus: It's fast and snappy when there is a reasonable amount of light, at about a Light Value (LV) 8 or higher). At LV -3, it was quite slow, perhaps 1-2 seconds.

Using M lenses: I was a little slow in focusing, but I think it will improve over time. I didn't exactly focus an optical rangefinder quickly the first day I picked it up. You can use magnification to get correct focus if your subject is sitting still. Regardless, I was able to focus without any real issue.


The camera with the Fuji 35/1.4:
Fuji X Pro 1 with 35/1.4

The following with the Fuji 35/1.4

ISO400 at f/1.4:
Fuji 35 f1.4 ISO400 1

ISO640 at f/2.2
Fuji 35 f2.2 ISO640

ISO3200, at f/1.4
Fuji 35 f1.4 ISO3200 2

ISO12800, at f/1.4 and 1/7 shutter speed, hand held. This is a Light Value of -3
Fuji 35- f1.4- ISO12800- LV-3

ISO25600 - this is the level of noise seen at ISO 800 on many vintage 2007 digital cameras, and for the grain of Fuji 1600 color film (now discontinued).
Fuji 35- f1.4- ISO25600

The camera with a Kipon M mount adapter and a Leitz Summicron 50/2 DR:
Fuji with Summicron 50/2 DR

The following with Summicron 50/2 DR

ISO 3200 at f/2
Summicron 50 f2 ISO3200 3

ISO2500 at f/4
Summicron 50 f4 ISO2500 4



Film simulation:

I like the film situation modes as I have a reference to the look I want. I need to try out Velvia on a nice sunny day and see if the colors are as punchy as the film. Right now I see a small difference in color saturation, but may not as different as the film.

Astia:
Astia sim

Velvia:
Velvia sim 


Black and White:

The camera has settings for not just black and white , but "B&W plus yellow filter, "B&W plus green filter" etc. I'm still not a huge fan of digital black and white, but I think it has made some improvements

Monochrome - ISO 1250

No comments:

Post a Comment