Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kodak's (Film's) Future Uncertain

A few days ago there were rumors that Kodak was preparing Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Today, they announcing it is reorganizing to eliminate a unique film division. In the last few years they've downsized their film offerings, eliminating: Plus-X, Kodachrome 64 & 200, Ektachrome 200, Ultra color 100 & 400. The did introduce Ektar 100. I imagine within a few years.

I'm not terribly worried about the future of film. I'm fairly certian B&W film will be around when I'm 80, so I'm confident always be able to use my film cameras. Color film is getting harder and harder to develop, but I can do B&W at home.

I don't dislike color digital, but I can't afford what I really what at this point. I don't like crop factors, so I'm going to have to wait until a full frame M mount camera is affordable.

The Leica M9 would be great, but it is $7000 new and about $5,500 used. Epson (via Cosina Voigtlander) came out with the R-d1 digital rangefinder in 2004, but it was a APS-C sensor (1.6 crop factor) and they have yet to improve on it. Used R-d1 still command prices over $1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment