Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Developing Really Old Film

I came across this exposed film in an old Kodak Tourist II camera at my in-laws. All it says is "panchromatic film" so I don't know the speed.

The camera model was introduced in 1951. I'm guessing the film is somewhere from the late 50s. I was going to give it a go at developing it. I have either D-76 or HC-110, but all things being equal, going to try D-76 1:1 since I have some stock mixed.

However, I am unsure about the time. B&W film was probably around ASA 100 back then, but there is likely some loss of speed, requiring extra time.

I've tried looking at some manufacturer developing times for modern film to try to find an equivalent, but there is little consistency between speed an developing time. For D76 1:1 at 68F are Efke 100 and Tri-X 400 are both 10 minutes, while HP5 is 13 minutes.

Since Efke is an "old film", Efke may be a closer emulsion to what I am developing and considering the age, I was going to try 13 minutes. I'll update with results.



The Results: Not good. The emulsion disintegrated in several spots. The best image is a faint outline of a few people.


No comments:

Post a Comment