Saturday, February 6, 2010

Big Negatives: Getting into Medium Format

Besides an initial foray into 110 format when I was 8, I've spent my life shooting 35mm. I wanted to try medium format a try. Why medium format? 120 film has over four times the area of a 35mm negative, which facilitates big clear enlargements. With only 12 shots on a roll (with a 6x6 format), you have to be more careful and deliberate.

Being the bargain hunter I am, I wanted to limit my investment. Popular modern medium format cameras like the the Mamiya 7, Hasselblad, Bronica, Fujica, often still start at around $500 and go up from there.

The least expensive, and smallest, foray into medium format will be with a rangefinder-less folder (guess focusing). If you plan on using small apertures and distant focusing, then the lack of focusing guide won't be an issue. The Zeiss Ikonta or Voigtlander Bessa I come with reputable lenses and easily go for under $100. Update: I got a Zeiss Ikonta 523/2 - reviewed here.

I think TLRs offered the best value for the money, such as 50s era Rolleiflex or the Ikoflex. You can get a body with fixed Zeiss lenses for $150-$250. (A body and Zeiss lens for a Hasselblad system will cost multiples more.) The Yashica Mat is another quality camera which will go for . Rolleicords have a few less features than the 'flex, but the price discount isn't that much. There are a multitude of "off brand" TLR, such as the Ricohflex, Minolta Autocord, Ricoh Diacord, or the Ciroflex. Many of these can be easily had for under $100. Given the closeness in price on the used market, I went with the classic, a 1955 Rolleiflex with Zeiss Tessar 75/3.5 in user condition for less than $200. (Later Rolleis get quite pricey).

Examples of the Rollei

Portra 400NC, f/3.5:


Portra 400NC, f/3.5:

No comments:

Post a Comment